The Reverend Michael Dowd is a leading American evolutionary evangelist.
He is the author of the bestselling, bridge-building book, Thank God for Evolution: How the Marriage of Science and Religion Will Transform Your Life and Our World (Viking: 2008, Plume: 2009) which has been endorsed by 6 Nobel laureates and other science luminaries, including noted skeptics, and by religious leaders across the spectrum. He and his wife, Connie Barlow, an acclaimed science writer and gifted evolutionary educator, have spoken to more than 1,600 religious and secular groups—from Catholics to Quakers, to Baptists to Buddhists, to college and university students—since launching their itinerant ministry in April of 2002.
Celebrated by conservatives and liberals alike, and uniquely gifted at building bridges between religious and non-religious people, Michael shares big history, the epic of evolution—humanity’s common creation story—in ways that uplift and expand heart, mind, and soul. His four-fold passion in life is…
1. Showing how an evolutionary understanding of human nature, death, and the trajectory of big history can inspire and empower each of us to live with greater integrity, joy, and zest for life.
2. Helping religious people of all kinds relate to scientific, historic, and cross-cultural evidence as divine revelation.
3. Offering his fellow Christians a way of thinking about physical, biological, and cultural evolution that is “God glorifying, Christ edifying, and scripture honoring.”
4. Evangelizing a sacred, science-based understanding of our inner and outer nature such that people of all backgrounds and beliefs are motivated to cooperate in service of a just, healthy, beautiful, and sustainably life-giving future.
More of Michael Dowd’s story here.
What Is Evolutionary Christianity?
EVOLUTIONARY CHRISTIANITY reflects all forms of Christian faith practiced by those who not only accept but cherish the scientific evidence of a cosmos and Earth billions of years old, in which life forms evolved via natural processes. The thought leaders in the Evolutionary Christianity movement share deep-time eyes and a global heart. All embrace scientific discoveries in meaningful, faith-enriching, life-enhancing ways. In their quest to bridge or integrate traditional wisdom with scientific revelation, Christian evolutionaries place immense value on nurturing fresh and inspiring interpretations of scripture and doctrines that arose in pre-scientific times.
Michael Dowd has interviewed 38 Christian luminaries from nearly every denomination—including Nobel laureates and Templeton Prize-winners. His quest? To learn how they are personally and professionally inspired by what God is revealing today—through science. What quickly became apparent was that, regardless of theological or liturgical differences . . .
* They all see no conflict between faith & reason, head & heart, Jesus & Darwin.
* They all value scientific and historic evidence as divine communication.
* They all share a commitment to a just and healthy future
Michael Dowd was inspired to make this breakthrough series available in a way that makes it easy to facilitate individual reflection and group discussion. The audio series features compelling interviews with a widely diverse group of leading Christian thinkers:
Nobel Prize Winning Scientists
Charles H. Townes, William D. Phillips
Ian Barbour, John Polkinghorne
Joan Chittister, John F. Haught, Richard Rohr,
Ursula King, Kenneth R. Miller, Ilia Delio,
Diarmuid O’Murchu, Gail Worcelo,
Gloria Schaab, Mary Southard, Linda Gibler
John Shelby Spong, Matthew Fox,
John Cobb, Philip Clayton, Joan Roughgarden
Karl W. Giberson, Denis Lamoureux,
Owen Gingerich, Edward B. (Ted) Davis
Emergent / Postmodern Evangelicals
Brian McLaren, Doug Pagitt,
Spencer Burke, Sally Morgenthaler
Progressive / Integral Christians
Gretta Vosper, Tom Thresher,
Ross Hostetter, Jim Burklo, Paul Smith
Kevin Kelly, Michael Morwood,
Bruce Sanguin, Ian Lawton, Michael Dowd
Visit the Evolutionary Christianity blog here.
Order the full or part set of The Advent of Evolutionary Christianity audio interviews and transcripts here.